“Bright House Networks Bright Ideas STEM from today’s youth contest”
Official Contest Rules
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST.
A purchase will not improve chances of winning.
You have not yet won.
OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FOLLOWING BRIGHT HOUSE NETWORKS SERVICE AREAS—BAKERSFIELD, CA; BIRMINGHAM, AL; LIVONIA, NOVI, FARMINGTON, FARMINGTON HILLS AND REDFORD, MI; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; TAMPA BAY, FL; AND CENTRAL FL WHO ARE STUDENTS IN PUBLIC, PRIVATE OR PAROCHIAL HIGH SCHOOLS, OR ARE HOME SCHOOLED, AND WHO ARE AT LEAST 14 YEARS OLD AS OF THE DATE OF ENTRY
By entering “BRIGHT HOUSE NETWORKS BRIGHT IDEAS STEM FROM TODAY’S YOUTH CONTEST” (the “Promotion”), entrants accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Any violation of these rules may, at Sponsor’s discretion, result in disqualification. All decisions of the judges regarding this Promotion are final and binding in all respects.
1. PROMOTION PERIOD. Promotion begins July 1, 2015 at 9:00 a.m. ET and ends January 4, 2016 at 9:00 p.m. ET when all entries must be received (“Promotion Period”).
2. ELIGIBILITY. This contest (the “Promotion”) is only open to legal residents of the following Bright House Networks service areas-Bakersfield, CA; Birmingham, AL; Livonia, Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills and Redford, MI; Indianapolis, IN; Tampa Bay, FL and Central FL who are students in public, private, or parochial high schools, or are home schooled, and who are at least 14 years old as of the date of entry, except officers, directors, members, and employees of the Sponsor, the judging organization (if applicable), or any other party associated with the development or administration of this Promotion, and the immediate family (i.e., parents, children, siblings, spouse), and persons residing in the same household, as such individuals. This Promotion is void outside the following Bright House Networks service areas-Bakersfield, CA; Birmingham, AL; Livonia, Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills and Redford, MI; Indianapolis, IN; Tampa Bay, FL and Central FL and where prohibited.
3. HOW TO ENTER. ELIGIBLE ENTRANTS MUST GET THEIR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN'S PERMISSION TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST. EACH ENTRANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE PARENTAL CONSENT IN A FORM SATISFACTORY TO THE SPONSOR BEFORE HE OR SHE CAN BE DECLARED A FINALIST OR THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER AND ANY PRIZE ASSOCIATED THEREWITH CAN BE AWARDED.
Visit www.brighthouse.com/brightideas (the "Website") and follow the instructions to: a) create a Contest account and complete the Contest registration form in its entirety; b) enter Essay #1 directly into the field labeled “Essay #1” provided an essay of no more than fifteen hundred (1500) characters describing your idea powered by math or science to make the world "a better place" including what it does, who you want to use it, and how you thought of it; c) upload your original Drawing ("Drawing") of your idea directly to the Website, or upload your Video (“Video”); and d) enter directly into the field labeled “Essay #2” an essay of no more than fifteen hundred (1500) characters describing what math or science tools you need to make your idea work. Essay #1, Essay #2 or Drawing or Video are collectively referred to as the submission (“Submission”).
• Drawings may be in color or black and white and uploaded Drawings may be no larger than 2MB in size and must be either a .jpeg, .png or .gif file;
• Submissions must be in English;
• Submissions must not contain the last name, phone number(s), address, or email address of any person, including the Entrant(s);
•Submissions must not contain or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, "commercial pitch," promotional materials, junk mail, spam, pyramid schemes, or any other form of solicitation;
• Submissions must not contain or transmit any materials that contain software viruses or other computer code, files or programs designed to impair, limit, interfere with or cause harm to any communications network operated by any of the Contest Entities or the computers of any individual or entity participating in or otherwise associated with the Contest;
• Submissions must NOT have been previously submitted to another contest or submitted to any entity that would conflict with this Contest, as determined in the Contest Entities' sole discretion;
• Video resolution must be at least 480p. Allowed file types: .MOV, .MPEG4, .MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, .3GPP, .WebM.
• Photo(s) must be less than 2 MB. Allowed file types: .png, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg.
Additionally, each Submission must be given a unique name and Entrants must determine at least one (1) category from a list provided on the Contest Registration form into which the idea falls.
Entrants may work as individuals or teams of up to two (2) members(each, a "Team"). Teams composed of individuals whose ages are not consistent with the requirements will be disqualified and their Submissions will be void. For purposes of these Official Rules, Individuals and Teams shall, individually and collectively, be known as "Entrants." If you are entering as a Team, you must provide registration information as requested for each member of your Team and all team members must comply with eligibility requirements of this Contest.
4. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. All entries will be judged on or about January 25, 2016 (the “Judging Date”) by a panel of judges comprised of a field of experts in the areas of math, science, technology, engineering and innovation selected by Bright House Networks. The judges will score entries based on the following criteria: a) Creativity (measure of idea's originality and measure of whether it takes on a problem that hasn't been solved before, or approaches a familiar problem in a fresh, imaginative new way) – 40%; Feasibility (likelihood that the science, technology, engineering or math tools the user has selected to "power" his or her idea can actually make it work) – 30%; and c) Usefulness (likelihood that there is a need for the idea, or that a person/professional field would find it helpful and valuable) – 30%. The entry with highest overall score will be declared the potential finalist (in the event of a tie, the entry with the higher score in the Creativity criteria will prevail). Six (6) "Finalists" (one from each of the Sponsor’s six service areas) will be selected. SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SELECT FEWER THAN SIX FINALISTS IF, IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, IT DOES NOT RECEIVE A SUFFICIENT NUMBER OF ELIGIBLE AND QUALIFIED SUBMISSIONS. Any potential Finalist will be notified by mail, email and/or telephone. If a potential finalist: (i) cannot be contacted; (ii) does not respond within three (3) days from the date the Sponsor first tries to notify him/her; (iii) fails to return the Affidavit and Release as specified in Rule 9; (iv) refuses the prize; and/or (v) the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, such potential finalist forfeits all rights to win the Promotion or receive the prize, and an alternate potential finalist may be selected. Upon contacting a potential finalist and determining that he/she has met all eligibility requirements of the Promotion, including without limitation the execution of required waivers, publicity and liability releases and disclaimers, and, at Sponsor’s discretion, successful completion of a background check, such individual will be declared the “Finalist” of the Promotion.
Potential Finalists (and the parent/legal guardian of each) will be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release and, unless prohibited by law, a publicity release and other related documents required by the Contest Entities (the "Finalist Documents"), within a reasonable amount of time, as determined by the Contest Entities in their sole discretion. Potential Finalists cannot proceed to the "Finalist Pitch Event" until all such properly executed and notarized Finalist Documents are returned. Once the Finalist Documents have been received by the Contest Entities in accordance with these Official Rules, the confirmed Finalists will be contacted with details on the Finalist Pitch Event.
At the Finalist Pitch Event, the six (6) confirmed Finalists will each have no more than six (6) minutes to pitch their ideas live to a panel of judges selected by the Sponsor. Details and requirements for the "pitch" will be provided to each Finalist (including all Team members, if any) once all Finalists have been confirmed. The judges will judge each pitch based on the following equally weighted judging criteria: a) creativity; b) feasibility; and c) usefulness. At the conclusion of the Finalist Pitch Event, the one (1) Finalist with the highest score will be deemed the Grand Prize winner (in the event of a tie, the entry with the higher score in the creativity category will prevail). Sponsor's decisions are final and binding on all matters related to the Finalist Pitch Event. In the event a confirmed Finalist cannot attend the Finalist Pitch Event for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right to proceed with the Finalist Pitch Event with fewer than six (6) Finalists, or select an alternate Finalist from the service area at issue to participate. The Finalist Pitch Event is currently scheduled to take place in early March 2016 in Orlando, FL. The Finalist Pitch Event date and location are subject to change at Sponsor's sole discretion. The Finalist Pitch Event will be subject to the instructions and guidelines provided by Sponsor and each Finalist will be required to comply with such instructions and guidelines. Each Finalist (including each of his/her Team members, if any) MUST be accompanied to the Finalist Pitch Event by a parent/legal guardian.
5. PRIZE DESCRIPTION. There will be up to six (6) finalists and one (1) grand prize winner. The finalist prize is two (2) coach airfare tickets from the major commercial airport nearest finalist's primary residence in the US to Orlando, FL and one (1) standard hotel room (double occupancy) for three (3) nights at a hotel selected by Sponsor, airport transfers and ground transportation in Orlando as determined by Sponsor and group organized meals as provided by Sponsor. The approximate retail value of the prize package is $3,000 depending on exact itinerary. Actual value may vary based on various factors, including fluctuations in price for airfare and/or accommodations, and distance between the point of departure and the destination. Ground transportation except for airport transfers and ground transportation in Orlando, meals, except those provided by Sponsor, in-room or other personal charges at lodging (e.g., mini-bar, movies), telephone calls, gratuities, incidentals, and all other expenses are not included. Finalist and travel companion must be available to travel on the same itinerary. Trip must be booked by 2/1/16 and completed by 3/31/16, and may be subject to certain other restrictions, including without limitation blackout dates. Sponsor will attempt to accommodate Finalist's preferred itinerary, but all specifics thereof will be at Sponsor's sole discretion. If, in the sole judgment of Sponsor, air travel is not required due to finalist’s proximity to prize location, ground transportation may be substituted for round trip air travel. Travel companion must be the parent or guardian of the finalist. In the event a Team is selected as a Finalist, each member of the Team will receive the entire Finalist prize package (ARV $3,000), including air transportation for the parent/legal guardian of each member of the Team.
One (1) Grand Prize is available. The Grand Prize consists of the opportunity for the Grand Prize winner to work with a product development firm (“PDF”) selected by the Sponsor to develop his/her idea. The extent to which the idea will be "developed" will depend upon the nature of the idea and is at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Development can include turning the Drawing into a real product design, creating a virtual prototype/rendering, creating a business plan, identifying the best customer for an idea, etc. At a minimum, the Grand Prize winner (including both Team members, if such Grand Prize winner is a Team) will have the opportunity to travel to PDF’s office (“Location”) for two (2) in-person meetings with PDF. For each meeting, Sponsor will provide: a) round-trip economy class air transportation from the major U.S. gateway airport nearest the Grand Prize winner’s home to Location for the Grand Prize winner and his/her parent/legal guardian (and, in the case of a Team, both members of such Team and one (1) parent/legal guardian of each Team member); b) two (2) nights hotel accommodations (one (1) room, double occupancy selected by Sponsor); c) $300 spending money for each Grand Prize winner and parent/legal guardian combination. The timing of such in-person meetings shall be determined between the Grand Prize winner and the Sponsor. Any other necessary meetings shall take place electronically in such form as determined between the Grand Prize winner and the Sponsor. The approximate retail value of the travel/accommodations associated with the Grand Prize is $4,000 (in the case of a Team, the ARV is $4,000 per Team member).
6. TAXES. All federal, state and/or local income and other taxes, if any, are the winner’s sole responsibility.
7. OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE. All entry materials become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. The copyright in any Submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry into this Promotion constitutes entrant’s irrevocable and perpetual permission and consent, without further compensation, with or without attribution, to use, reproduce, print, publish, transmit, distribute, sell, perform, adapt, enhance, or display such Submission, and the entrant’s name and/or likeness, for any purpose, including but not limited to editorial, advertising, trade, commercial, and publicity purposes by the Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world, for the duration or the copyright in the Submission. Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt, and modify the Submission.
8. NO PRIZE TRANSFER OR SUBSTITUTION. No prize or any portion thereof is transferable or redeemable for cash. No substitutions for prize except by Sponsor, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be substituted.
9. CONSENT AND RELEASE. By entering the Promotion, each entrant releases and discharges the Sponsor, PDF, judging organization (if applicable), and any other party associated with the development or administration of this Promotion, their parent, subsidiary, and affiliated entities, and each of their respective officers, directors, members, shareholders, employees, independent contractors, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, “Sponsor Entities”), from any and all liability whatsoever in connection with this Promotion, including without limitation legal claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages, demands or actions of any kind (including without limitation personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction or property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light) (collectively, “Claims”). Except where prohibited: (i) entry into the Promotion constitutes the consent of each entrant, without further compensation, to use his/her name, likeness, biographical data, contact information and his/her Submission for editorial, advertising, marketing, publicity, and administrative purposes by the Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor; (ii) acceptance of a prize constitutes a release by any winner of the Sponsor Entities of any and all Claims in connection with the administration of this Promotion and the use, misuse, or possession of his/her Submission or any prize; (iii) any potential winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility (including social security number) and a liability/publicity/copyright release; and (iv) if prize involves travel or activities, any potential winner and travel companion (if applicable) may be required to execute releases of the Sponsor from any and all liability with respect to participation in such travel/activities and/or use of the prize. Fully-executed affidavits and releases must be received by the Sponsor within five (5) days from the date that Sponsor first tries to notify the potential winner. Sponsor may conduct a background check to confirm any potential winner’s eligibility and compliance with these rules. By entering, you agree to cooperate reasonably with any such background check. If the prize includes participation in any public event(s) or publicity, or if Sponsor Entities intend to publicize the winner in any way, and if a background check reveals that a potential winner has engaged in conduct that could damage the reputation or business of any Sponsor Entity, as determined by Sponsor in its discretion, the potential winner may be disqualified and the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner. If winner is deemed to be a minor under the jurisdiction of his/her residence, the prize will be awarded in the name of his/her parent or legal guardian who must execute the necessary affidavit and release and, if applicable, must accompany winner on the trip (no additional travel expenses will be awarded should a parent or legal guardian be required to accompany the winner on the trip).
10. DISCLAIMERS. (i) Sponsor not responsible for entries that are lost, late, misdirected, incorrect, garbled, or incompletely received, for any reason, including by reason of hardware, software, browser, or network failure, malfunction, congestion, or incompatibility at Sponsor’s servers or elsewhere. In the event of a dispute, entries will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet Access Provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. (ii) Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process or the operation of the web site or otherwise attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion. Use of bots or other automated process to enter/vote is prohibited and may result in disqualification at the sole discretion of Sponsor. (iii) Sponsor further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Promotion if it is not capable of completion as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, force majeure or technical failures of any sort. (iv) Sponsor Entities are not responsible for errors in the administration or fulfillment of this Promotion, including without limitation mechanical, human, printing, distribution or production errors, and may cancel, terminate or modify this Promotion based upon such error at its sole discretion without liability. In no event will Sponsor be responsible for awarding more than the number of prizes specified in these rules. (v) In the event this Promotion is cancelled or terminated, pursuant to subparagraph (iii) or (iv), Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect to select a winner from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. (vi) SPONSOR ENTITIES MAKE NO WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTEES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, AS REGARDS THIS PROMOTION OR THE MERCHANTABILITY, QUALITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE REGARDING ANY PRIZE OR ANY COMPONENT OF ANY PRIZE. (vii) CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. (viii) The value(s) of the prize(s) set forth above represent Sponsor’s good faith determination of the approximate retail value(s) thereof; the actual fair market value(s) as ultimately determined by Sponsor are final and binding and cannot be challenged or appealed. In the event the stated approximate retail value(s) of a prize is more than the actual fair market value of that prize, the difference will not be awarded in cash or otherwise. No substitution or compensation will be given for any portion of the prize that is not used. (ix) Sponsor’s acceptance of Entrant’s Submission, and any selection of Entrant as a Finalist or Grand Prize winner, does not constitute any Sponsor Entity’s endorsement of such Submission or warranty as to the commercial viability of such Submission or that such Submission does not violate the rights of any other person or entity, including but not limited to patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, or other intellectual property rights. (x) Sponsor Entities are not responsible if Entrant fails to commercialize Entrant’s Submission for any reason or if such Submission violates the rights of any other person or entity, including but not limited to patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, or other intellectual property rights.
11. APPLICABLE LAWS AND JURISDICTION. This Promotion is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of the State of Florida, without regard to any principles of conflict of laws. All disputes arising out of or connected with this Promotion will be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by a state or federal court located in Orlando, Florida. Should there be a conflict between the laws of the State of Florida and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of the State of Florida. To the extent permitted by applicable law, all judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys’ fees) associated with participation in this Promotion and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.
12. WINNER LIST. For the name of the finalists and the grand prize winner, send a self-addressed stamped envelope, within six (6) months of the Judging Date, to: Winner List, “Bright Ideas STEM from Today’s Youth,” 2251 Lucien Way, Maitland, FL 32751.
13. SPONSORSHIP. This Promotion is sponsored by Bright House Networks, 2251 Lucien Way, Maitland, FL 32751 (individually and collectively, the “Sponsor”).